Do You Need To File For An IRS Tax Extension This Year?

by Aaron Scott Young


Email Kayla Boles at if you would like help in filing for an extension.

At times, it can be tough to keep up with the fast-moving hands of a clock and the constantly turning pages of a calendar. When it comes to filing your taxes with the IRS, however, it is important to meet your IRS tax-filing deadlines. But the good news is that there are helpful options for those who just can’t get their taxes done on time for certain reasons.

How Long is an Extension of Time?

The widely known tax-filing deadline of April 15th is not always the most convenient date for taxpayers to meet due to various factors. If a life-changing event or something else takes your time away from your taxes, you may not be able to meet your deadline, even if you’ve always been a loyal contributor to Uncle Sam. That is why the IRS allows individuals to receive an extension of time for filing purposes. A tax extension normally lasts for up to six months, meaning the final deadline for filing your personal tax return can be extended from April 15th to October 15th.

Why to File for an Extension

There are numerous legitimate reasons why someone would need to file for an extension of time with the IRS. If you don’t have your tax information ready to go due to unexpected circumstances, you may be able to take advantage of a tax extension. If you marry, divorce, conceive a child, or relocate when April 15th is fast approaching, you may not have ample time to organize your financial information and hand it off to a tax preparer.  In other cases, military members stationed in “combat zones” are eligible for a tax extension for up to 6 months. In addition, U.S. citizens who also live internationally may legitimately qualify for an IRS tax extension as well.

Getting the Extension

The most basic way to obtain more time to fulfill your tax obligations is to file Form 4868: Application For Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Tax Return. After this form is processed, you should be given an automatic extension on when your personal return would be due. Another option is to pay all or some of your estimate of income taxes that you owe if you know you won’t have time to file by April 15th.

Let Corporate Tax Network File Your Extension For You

To file for an IRS tax extension right now so you can get more time to finish doing your taxes, call our friends at Corporate Tax Network at 1.866.893.5730 and press option 1 or email Kayla Boles at  They are happy to assist!